The Exchange Rate
You're Only As Smart As You Think | The Exchange Rate Part 4 | Draper
QUESTION: What are you wrong about right now?
CAUTION: Being WRONG feels the same as being RIGHT.
Proverbs 12:15 The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice.
Proverbs 14:15 The simple believe anything, but the prudent give thought to their steps.
Wisdom is the result of your INVESTMENT, not your INTELLIGENCE.
The wisest decisions are PRE-DECISIONS.
This is one of the most documented realities in all of psychological research: our thinking affects our moods, anxiety levels, performance and well-being…[it] literally drives our lives in a way, just like the software drives a computer. –Henry Cloud (The Law of Happiness)
QUESTION: Do you know how God pre-decided to think about you?
Romans 8:29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.
God didn’t pre-decide WHO would be saved. He pre-decided who the saved would BE like.
Romans 7:20-25a Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!
Romans 8:18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.
Romans 8:26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.
Romans 8:28-29 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.
God’s pre-decision > My _____________.
The is the greatest resource for creating teachability. It shows us that we are sinners, yet its deep assurance of God’s unconditional love for us in Christ makes it possible to face our flaws without denial. –Tim Keller
BOTTOM LINE: Wisdom is a PERSON, not principles.
Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
QUESTIONS FOR PARENTS & STUDENTS
1. If being wrong feels the same as being right, how can you ever be confident that you’re right?
2. What pre-decisions have you made?
1. When was the last time that you felt you were absolutely right, only to find out you were wrong? What happened?
2. What do you do to invest in your own wisdom?
3. A running theme in Proverbs is that you can’t be your own authority and be wise. What makes it hard to self-analyze and even privately honestly assess your own thoughts and attitudes? As you discuss Proverbs 14:15?
4. Read Romans 8:28-29 and the quote by Tim Keller. How could seriously embracing this bring freedom to someone?
5. If everyone in our church adopted your thinking and attitudes, what would our church be like?