A Deep Series
The Worst Person I Know | A Deep Series Part 3 | Lehi
QUESTION: Are you primarily sinned against and only secondarily a sinner? Or, are you primarily a sinner and only secondarily sinned against?
Luke 7:47 …”Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”
1 Timothy 1:15-17 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.
If you’re not the worst sinner you know, you don’t know yourself very well. –Jean Larroux
Colossians 3:12-14 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Refuse to use unacceptable BEHAVIOR as an excuse to treat someone as UNACCEPTABLE.
Colossians 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
We don’t have RELATIONSHIP problems. We have GOSPEL problems.
Matthew 18:32-35 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”
Sin is REBELLION, but self-righteousness is TREASON.
There is no way that you could have any concept of what God has forgiven you of and be ungenerous in spirit toward others. If you are, it must mean you are unaware of the grace God has shown toward you. Those people who really believe the gospel show it by becoming like the gospel. Someone saturated in the grace of the gospel develops an almost insane ability to forgive. – J. D. Greear
ACTIVITY: I find delight in doing for others ______________.
· What they have to done to me.
· What Jesus has done for me.
BOTTOM LINE: I will never be more disappointed in YOU than I am in MYSELF.
1. What was your gut reaction when you heard this question: “Are you primarily sinned against and only secondarily a sinner? Or, are you primarily a sinner and only secondarily sinned against?“ In what way did the message influence your perspective?
2. Read Colossians 3:1-14 as a group. Paying special attention to verses 12-14, where do these verses encourage you and where do they show a lack of your alignment with the Gospel?
3. On Sunday we heard, “We don’t have RELATIONSHIP problems; we have GOSPEL problems. What’s a relationship that it’s a struggle for you to apply the Gospel? What makes that a challenge?
4. In light of all we’ve discussed, what will you tell yourself the next time it’s difficult to forgive?
5. Read the quote below. Then ask, “What is your response to this statement?” I find delight in doing for others what Jesus has done for me.