The Exchange Rate
The Inheritance | The Exchange Rate Part 2 | St. George
QUESTION: Would you rather receive an inheritance or leave an inheritance?
Positive Side: I get too SPEND what I didn’t EARN.
Negative Side: Someone has to DIE before I can RECEIVE that inheritance.
Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Before you valued the Gospel, people who valued the Gospel VALUED you.
1 Thessalonians 2:9-20 Surely you remember, brothers and sisters, our toil and hardship; we worked night and day in order not to be a burden to anyone while we preached the gospel of God to you. 10 You are witnesses, and so is God, of how holy, righteous and blameless we were among you who believed. 11 For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, 12 encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory. 13 And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe…. 19 For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you? 20 Indeed, you are our glory and joy.
What’s convenient for you was INCONVENIENT for someone else.
Proverbs 14:4 Where there are no oxen, the manger is empty, but from the strength of an ox come abundant harvests.
1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you? 20 Indeed, you are our glory and joy.
Warning: It’s possible to RECEIVE an inheritance and not LEAVE an inheritance.
BOTTOM LINE: People have been shoveling for you, would you SHOVEL for others?
Home Group Questions
1. What have you inherited? Would you rather receive an inheritance or leave an inheritance? Why?
2. Read Romans 5:8. What goes through your mind when you hear that before you valued the Gospel, people who valued the Gospel valued you? Explain.
3. Describe your first experience at SMCC. In what ways were others inconvenienced so your first experience was enjoyable?
4. Read 1 Thessalonians 2:9-20. What observations can you make about the Apostle Paul’s investment into the Thessalonian Christians?
5. Read the warning from the message again. How does this sit with you? What emotions or actions does this point stir up in you?
6. When it comes to an inheritance, we can’t earn it, we can’t pay it back, but we can pass it on. How will you leave a Gospel inheritance for the next generation?