A Deep Series
The Best People You Know | A Deep Series Part 4 | Draper
QUESTION: What are you going to do with what you believe?
The Gospel EQUALLY emphasizes love for GOD and love for OTHERS.
Colossians 3:12-14 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Before you WANTED God, he WANTED you.
Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Everything we do for others is based on what he HAS DONE for us and IS DOING in us.
Colossians 3:12, 14 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience… And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Colossians 3:9-10 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.
· Compassion: deeply FEEL for people in need.
· Kindness: readiness to do GOOD for others
· Humility: placing your life BELOW others.
· Gentleness: helping people in such a way that they don’t feel CONDEMNED.
· Patience: choosing to go at another person’s SPEED.
The activity of these people, in dealing with any matter that affects their community, is something extraordinary; they spare no trouble, no expense…You see, these misguided creatures start with the general conviction that they are immortal for all time, which explains the contempt of death and voluntary self-devotion which are so common among them; and then it was impressed on them by their original lawgiver that they are all brothers, from the moment that they are converted, and deny the gods of Greece, and worship the crucified sage, and live after his laws. –Lucian (2nd Century A.D.)
QUESTION: Why does following Jesus always lead to deeper community?
John 17:20-23 My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
ANSWER: Ultimate REALITY is ultimately about RELATIONSHIPS.
The persons within God exalt each other, commune with each other, and defer to one another…Each divine person harbors the others at the center of his being. In constant movement of overture and acceptance, each person envelops and encircles the others…God’s interior life [therefore] overflows with regard for others. –Cornelius Plantinga
BOTTOM LINE: Your faith is PERSONAL, but it’s not PRIVATE.
1. Over the course of this series we have said, “When you believe the Gospel you become like the Gospel.” In what ways are you becoming more like the Gospel? In what ways would you like to become more like the Gospel?
2. Read Colossians 3:1-17 as a group. Who could most benefit from you living out these attributes (Compassion, Kindness, Gentleness, Patience)? How do you want to act on this over the next week?
3. Read John 17:20-23 as a group. Pay special attention to v23. What are your thoughts when you realize that Jesus says that our unity is THE test for the Gospel’s credibility?
4. Watch the video in the Bonus Material section for Week 4 (adeepseries.com). Why is the Trinity so important to commands related to love and community?
MEMORY VERSES Pick one or try to memorize more than one.
John 15:12-13 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
1 Peter 4:8-9 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.