The Exchange Rate
Taxing Faith | The Exchange Rate Part 4 | St. George
SERIES ANTITHESIS: Our influence will DECREASE at the rate we exchange what we value most for what we want now.
-“Men remain in ignorance as long as they hate, and they hate unjustly as long as they remain in ignorance.”
-“The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church.”
-“A man becomes a Christian, he is not born one.”
-“You cannot put straight in others what is warped in yourself.”
-“...Through death deathlessness has been made known to us…”
-“He became what we are so that he might make us what he is.”
-“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”
-“Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.”
-“If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself.”
-“Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation.”
QUESTION: How did Christianity move from influential to irrelevant (in North Africa)?
Colossians 3:9-14 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.  Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
When compassion isn’t visible...
When kindness isn’t visible...
When humility isn’t visible...
When gentleness isn’t visible...
When patience isn’t visible...
When love isn’t visible...
we become IRRELEVANT.
You can’t compromise your IDENTITY without exchanging influence for irrelevance.
BOTTOM LINE: When you give up what MARKS you, you will never leave a MARK.
QUESTIONS FOR PARENTS AND STUDENTS
1. If you asked the people who know you best, “What is the top thing that marks me,” what do you hope they would say?
2. Which of the 6 characteristics from Colossians 3 would you like to be more visible in you?
SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS
1. What was going through your mind when Pastor Rick used the Turbo tax illustration? What would you do if that was real?
2. As you heard the description of the crisis that faced the church, once Christianity was legalized, what emotions did you feel? How would you most likely have responded?
3. Read Colossians 3:9-14 together. Which of the 6 characteristics are most visible and/or least visible in you? What’s your next step?
4. As we approach the end of the Exchange Rate series, how has your thinking about influence and investing in the cause of Christ been affected?