A Deep Series
Per-Severing Faith | A Deep Series Part 7 | Draper
Today’s Big Question: What would it take to sink your faith?
2 Thessalonians 1:4 Therefore, among God’s churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you are enduring.
Problem: Too many people are giving up on a FALSE version of Christianity . . . mistaking it for the real.
Jude 3 “Contend for the faith that was once and for all handed down to the saints.”
Matthew 7:15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.”
We should all sever ourselves from these gods…
Childhood god #1:The BODYGUARD god.
Childhood god #2:The ON DEMAND god.
Childhood god #3:The BOYFRIEND god.
Childhood god #4:The GUILT god.
Childhood god #5:The ANTI-SCIENCE god.
Childhood god #6:The GAP god.
Colossians 3:1-4 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
Mr. Dickson, you are advanced in years now, and your own prospect is soon to be laid in the grave, there to be eaten by worms; I confess to you, that if I can but live and die serving and honoring the Lord Jesus, it will make no difference to me whether I am eaten by Cannibals or by worms; and in the Great Day my Resurrection body will rise as fair as yours in the likeness of our risen Redeemer.
Bottom Line: The key to persevering in what’s true is SEVERING yourself from what’s false.
1. Share a story of someone who has inspired you by their persevering faith in Christ.
2. Read 2 Thessalonians 1:4. At your funeral will others celebrate your perseverance in the faith? What can you do now so that you will not crash and burn in your walk with God?
3. Which of the “false versions” of Christianity do you run into the most in your day to day conversations with “nones” (Those with no faith system) or “leavers?” (Those who no longer call themselves “Christian”) ?
4. Read Matthew 7:15 and Jude 3 and 2 Peter 2:1-3. Discuss false teaching in America today. What doctrine is most often twisted and why do you think so many people accept the false version of these doctrines?
5. Did you correct some bad thinking about God by listening to this message? What did you learn that you could share with the others in your group?