Making a Murderer | Zealot Part1 | St. George
Series Thesis: God changes people, we DON’T.
Zeal can be used to do GOOD or EVIL.
Galatians 4:18 It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good, and to be so always…
Acts 22:3 “I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city. I studied under Gamaliel and was thoroughly trained in the law of our ancestors. I was just as zealous for God as any of you are today.
Zealot: a person who has very strong OPINIONS about something, and TRIES to make other people have them too. – Cambridge Dictionary Online
Galatians 1:14 I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers.
Paul’s pathway to zealotry
Acts 7:58 [They] dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul.
Acts 8:1-3 And Saul approved of their killing him [Stephen]. On that day a great persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria. 2 Godly men buried Stephen and mourned deeply for him. 3 But Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off both men and women and put them in prison.
Saul weaponized his FAITH in order to destroy the FAITH of others.
CAUTION: You can be a REPRESENTATIVE, or you can be a WEAPON, but you can’t be both.
John 15:12 My (Jesus) command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
SMCC VALUE: We trust the process in which God changes us from the INSIDE OUT.
BOTTOM LINE: Be a WOOER, not a WOUNDER for Christ.
QUESTIONS FOR PARENTS & STUDENTS
1. If you could force people to agree with you on one thing, what would it be?
2. In your experience at our church, has it been more wooing or wounding for you?
SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS
1. What religious/church wounds do you have from your past? Or, what religious/church wounds have affected someone you care about?
2. What/who has been helpful to you in not giving up on Jesus?
3. Where do you see the makings of a zealot in you?
4. Read John 1:14, John 15:12 and Galatians 5:6. How do you truly care about people AND honor the SMCC Value: We trust the process in which God changes us from the inside out?
5. Which one of the BOTTOM LINES do you want to focus on for a next step?