The Man Upstairs
Holy People | The Man Upstairs Part 7 | South Jordan
Key passages: John 17:13-18, Luke 9:51, 1 Peter 2:9-12, John 17:20-26,
Question: Do you think God wants you HAPPY or HOLY?
“We exist to help as many people as possible take their next step toward becoming FULLY DEVOTED and FULLY DELIGHTED followers of Jesus Christ.”
Clearly, Jesus believed that being UNHOLY is the pathway to frustration and fear,
and being HOLY is the pathway to JOY.
To the degree that holioness is unclear Christianity will feel UNHELPFUL.
Definition: “Sanctified” = to be SET APART for a purpose.
VERTICAL Holiness: to be set apart for GOD.
HORIZONTAL Holiness: to be set apart* for OTHERS.
*SET APART ≠ SEPARATE
Being holy/sanctified for the PURPOSE of bringing as many people as possible to the JOY that is ours in Christ.
QUESTION: Who stands to win from your SANCTIFICATION?
Answer #1: YOU DO: Holiness and happiness go together.
Answer #2: OTHERS DO: Hurting people need holy people.
Big Idea: Holiness simultaneously sets you apart FROM the world and sets you apart FOR the world.
1. When you used to think about what it meant to be holy, what came to your mind?
2. What would you say to someone who wanted to know if God’s priority for us was our happiness not our holiness?
3. Read the C.S. Lewis quote. What unexpected “improvements” has God made in your life since taking up residence in your heart?
4. Read John 17:20-26. Explain what it means to be “set apart” (sanctified) for the world instead of from (as in, (out of”) the world?
5. Who is benefitting because of your sanctification? Because you are part of a “holy” culture?