The Man Upstairs
Holy Father | The Man Upstairs Part 6 | Draper
QUESTION: What do you look to when things don’t look good?QUESTION: What do you look to when things don’t look good?
QUESTION: Why do we lose heart?
We look to SELF.
We look to STUFF.
John 17:11-13,17,20-21 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled. “I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them…Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth… My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
When Jesus faced his WORST, he prayed for our BEST.
Truth and JoyUnity and LoveMission/PurposeHOLINESS
To the degree that holiness is UNCLEAR, Christianity will feel UNREASONABLE.
QUESTION: What does it mean for God to be holy?
ANSWER 1: God is UNIQUE and beyond COMPARISON.
Isaiah 40:21-22,26 Do you not know? Have you not heard? Has it not been told you from the beginning? Have you not understood since the earth was founded? He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in...Lift up your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one and calls forth each of them by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.
ANSWER 2: God is MORAL perfection.
Isaiah 6:5 Then I said, "Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."
Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
ANSWER 3: God is completely and eternally HAPPY.
Psalms 115:3 Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him.
Psalms 30:10-11 Hear, Lord, and be merciful to me; Lord, be my help.” You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy.
BOTTOM LINE: When you take HOLINESS to heart, you won’t lose HEART.
QUESTIONS FOR PARENTS & STUDENTS
1. What/who do you look to when things don’t look good?
2. What makes your life worth living?
1. Think back at a tough time in your life and ask yourself, “What is the root cause of you losing heart?” What have you heard in this series or in this message that would help you not lose heart? Read and discuss the quotes by Pascal and Tolstoy.
2. Read John 17:1-17 List and discuss all the ways that Jesus prayed for us. Which of these surprised you? Encouraged you?
3. In your own words describe what it means for God to be HOLY. Read and discuss Isaiah 40:21-26. Why is it important to OUR JOY that we see and value God as Holy Creator?
4. Read Isaiah 6:1-8. When Isaiah experienced this vision of God he immediately saw himself as a “person of unclean lips.” What was he trying to communicate? What does this have to do with God’s holiness?
5. Read Psalm 115:3; 30:10-11. What difference does it make to you that our HOLY FATHER is HAPPY?