The Exchange Rate
Greater Things | The Exchange Rate Part 1 | Draper
Everybody SPENDS time; the wise INVEST it.
Not all investments are EQUAL.
SERIES THESIS: Our influence will grow at the rate we exchange what we WANT now for what we VALUE most.
QUESTION: Are you happy with your rate of exchange?
John 14:12-13 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
John 12:23-26 Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.
THE GREAT EXCHANGE: Jesus took what we DESERVE so we can have what he deserves.
Jesus is talking about QUANTITY not quality.
John 14:12-14 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
Jesus invites us to exchange our AGENDA for His.
Jesus invites us to exchange our DESIRES for His.
Jesus invites us to exchange our EXPECTATIONS for His.
Mark 8:35-37 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. --Jim Elliot
BOTTOM LINE: Will you exchange your life for LIFE CHANGE?
QUESTIONS FOR PARENTS & STUDENTS
1. Are you a time spender or time investor?
2. Who do you know that would be a wise investment?
SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS
1. How do you measure your time to ensure that you are investing, not simply spending it?
2. If the future you could go back in time and talk to you right now, what might you say to you about the way you spend/invest time?
3. Read the following passages as a group, making observations as you go: John 12:23-26, John 14:12-14 and Mark 8:35-37.
4. What are your expectations for the time you invest in our church and the mission?
5. If you were guaranteed absolute success, what is something you wouldn’t hesitate to invest in?