The Man Upstairs
The Other Advocate | The Man Upstairs Part 2 | Lehi
THINK ABOUT IT: We LOVE and LOATHE justice at the same time.
When we use the word JUST we are trying to ignore what’s wrong.
When we use the word JUSTICE we are trying to heal what’s wrong.
QUESTION: What do you do when you want to fix what’s wrong but what’s wrong is you?
James 4:17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.
Religion says step UP.
Irreligion says step AWAY.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
Justice is the prerequisite of PEACE.
JUSTICE: the penalty is paid
PEACE: the penalty was fully paid for you but not by you.
John 14:15-18 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
An advocate steps IN when you can’t step UP.
John 14:19-26 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them...25 “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
1 John 2:1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
John 14:18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
Series Thesis: When you take HIS WORDS to heart you won’t lose heart.
1. Are you a person who, in most cases, loves or loathes justice? Why? What are the circumstances that would cause you to change your answer?
2. Read James 4:17. Once you discover that you are a sinner are you more likely to STEP UP (try to do good things) or to STEP AWAY (try to avoid the topic of sin)? Why?
3. Read John 14:27 and discuss the difference between JUSTICE and PEACE. In what way is justice a prerequisite to peace?
4. Read John 14:15-18. What does an ADVOCATE do for the powerless (orphans)? Why do WE need an advocate? Why is Jesus so effective in this role?
5. Read John 14:19-26 and 1 John 2:1. Speak to the incongruity of a truly born again person saying that they HOPE they will be with Jesus in heaven.
THIS SUNDAY'S SONGS
1. Only Wanna Sing - Hillsong United
2. Brokenness Aside - All Sons and Daughters
3. Build My Life - Pat Barrett
4. Blessed Be Your Name - Matt Redman