A Deep Series
Per-Severing Faith | A Deep Series Part 7 | South Jordan
TODAY’S BIG QUESTION: What would it take to sink your faith?
2 Thessalonians 1:4 Therefore, among God’s churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you are enduring.
Childhood God #1: A BODYGUARD god.
Childhood God #2: The ON DEMAND god.
Childhood God #3: The BOYFRIEND god.
Childhood God #4: The GUILT god.
Childhood God #5: The ANTI-SCIENCE god.
Childhood God #6: The GAP god.
Colossians 3:1-4 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
PROBLEM: Too many people are giving up on a FALSE version of Christianity.
Jude 3 “Contend for the faith that was once and for all handed down to the saints.”
Matthew 7:15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.”
Bottom Line: The key to persevering in what’s true is SEVERING yourself from what’s false.
1. Share a story of someone who has inspired you by their persevering faith in Christ.
2. Read 2 Thessalonians 1:4. At your funeral will others celebrate your perseverance in the faith? What can you do now so that you will not crash and burn in your walk with God?
3. Which of the “false versions” of Christianity do you run into the most in your day to day conversations with “nones” (Those with no faith system) or “leavers?” (Those who no longer call themselves “Christian”) ?
4. Read Matthew 7:15 and Jude 3 and 2 Peter 2:1-3. Discuss false teaching in America today. What doctrine is most often twisted and why do you think so many people accept the false version of these doctrines?
5. Did you correct some bad thinking about God by listening to this message? What did you learn that you could share with the others in your group?