Choosing to Cheat | Breathing Room Pt.3 Draper Campus
Breathing room is the space between our current PACE and our LIMITS.
Question: How can I do the work I love, without losing the people I love?
Key Truths about Work & Relationships:
You can’t do the work you love without EFFICIENCY.
You can’t keep the people you love without EQUITY.
“Two things we want so desperately, glory and relationship, can coexist only in God.”
Tim Keller, Every Good Endeavor
Myth: God, I’ll take care of things at WORK if you take care of things at HOME.
Reality Check: God never asks us to SURRENDER our lives to our work.
Colossians 3:22-24 “Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to carry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”
Truth: God, I’ll take care of things at HOME if you take care of things at WORK.
Ephesians 5:28 “In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.”
Ephesians 6:1-4 “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.”
Bottom Line: Don’t trade what’s unique to YOU for something somebody else will DO.
1. In your significant relationships, what are the unique roles you’re called to?
2. In your significant relationships, what outcome are you going for? In what way does fear enter in and create obstacles to that hope?
3. How much do you agree with this statement: “You’ll never be happier than the relationships you have.” To what degree have you already seen and experienced this to be true?
4. Read Ephesians 5:28 and 6:1-4. How does this highlight that God cares not only about your relationship with Him, but your relationship with others?
5. What are some practical ways you can create more breathing room in your most important relationships?