No Filter | #Trending Part 2 | South Jordan
Series Thesis: It’s always RISKY to go with what’s TRENDY.Series Thesis: It’s always RISKY to go with what’s TRENDY.
No Filter: The attempt to be fully accepted while being partially known.
Think about it: Acceptance and APPROVAL are not the same thing.
Acceptance: who you are.
Approval: what you do.
Ephesians 1:3-8 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us.
Key Truth: Since I’m accepted in Christ, I can be authentic with Him and I want to be ACCOUNTABLE to Him.
“The gospel is this: We are more sinful and flawed in ourselves than we ever dared believe, yet at the very same time we are more loved and accepted in Jesus Christ than we ever dared hope.” - Tim Keller
“Authenticity is another way of saying the outside matches the inside.” - Dr. Henry Cloud
Ephesians 4:1-6 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
UNITY is the finish-line of accountability and authenticity.
Bottom Line: Because I’m already ACCEPTED, I’m free to be AUTHENTIC.
SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS
1. Describe your understanding of the social media hashtag #NoFilter and why people use it. Would you agree or disagree that any content someone posts on their social media account is filtered in some way? Discuss.
2. In the message we said “Acceptance and Approval are not the same thing.” Why is it important that we never confuse these two in relationships? Describe a time where you confronted the behavior of someone you accept and love.
3. Read Ephesians 1:3-8. Describe the ways this passage helps you realize that God is for you and accepts you.
4. Why is accountability only possible when we’re accepted and authentic? Do you have a person you go to for accountability?
5. Read Ephesians 4:1-6. The Apostle Paul describes unity as a major goal. Would you describe your small group as a place where you’re accepted, you can be authentic and who you’re accountable to? If so, who or what are you all unified around?