Leaders You Can Follow - West Jordan
Series Thesis: The difference between the DEPENDABLE and the DESERTER isn’t their circumstances, it’s their PASSION.
Titus 1:1-11 - Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness—2 in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, 3 and which now at his appointed season he has brought to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Savior, 4 To Titus, my true son in our common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior. 5 The reason I left you in Crete was that you might put in order what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed you. 6 An elder must be blameless, faithful to his wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. 7 Since an overseer manages God’s household, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8 Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. 9 He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it. 10 For there are many rebellious people, full of meaningless talk and deception, especially those of the circumcision group. 11 They must be silenced, because they are disrupting whole households by teaching things they ought not to teach—and that for the sake of dishonest gain.
The Qualities of A Leader You Can Trust
Quality #1: A godly leader LIVES the Gospel in private before TEACHING it in public. (v.6)
Marriage is the most probing test of a man’s character and beliefs. -Alistair Begg
Quality #2: A godly leader is easy to ADMIRE and hard to ATTACK. (v.8)
A leader leads by example, whether he intends to or not. -Author Unknown
Quality #3: A godly leader makes it EASIER to understand TRUTH and HARDER to believe LIES. (v.9)
KEY TRUTH: You end up at the same DESTINATION as the person you FOLLOW.
1 Corinthians 11:1 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.
- Typically, what does someone have to do to get you to move the needle from indifference to trust? What cause you to move the needle from trust to distrust or suspicion?
- What traits do you think our culture tends to value in leaders? Think of your professional life, TV
- Read Titus 1:1-11. Spend some time as a group making observations about the type of leadership to embrace and to reject.
- The Apostle Paul makes a big deal about family relationships. What would your current family relationships tell others about your leadership?
- How does the Gospel lead a person to confront and correct an unhealthy leadership culture?
FINAL THOUGHT/TAKE HOME: Read Titus 1:9. Does the way that you conduct yourself at work and at home refute or reinforce the Gospel?