It's More Than A FEELING St.George Campus
It’s more than A FEELING
Control Freak: Part three
Pastor Tom Mertz October 15, 2017
If you don’t have any feelings you’re a CORPSE. If all you have is feelings you’re a CHILD.
Matthew 22:36-37 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your HEART and with all your SOUL and with all your mind.’
Question: What do you treasure?
We are what we love. – Augustine
TWO CATEGORIES OF FEELINGS
- SENSATIONS: strong feelings that we experience physically
- AFFECTIONS: strong feelings of deep attachment
TWO APPROACHES TO LIFE
- IRRELIGION: I want to feel COMPLETE.
- RELIGION: I want to feel CONVINCED.
All feelings are real. Not all feelings are VALID.
Question: What do you do, if before you feel COMPLETE and before you feel CONVINCED, the truth makes you feel UNCOMFORTABLE?
Luke 10:30-37 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’ 36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?” 37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.” Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”
We need truth to not only INFORM us, but TRANSFORM us.
Ephesians 3:16-19 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Gospel: TREASURE the one who first TREASURED you.
Matthew 13:44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.
Hebrews 12:2 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- Review the statement "If you don’t have any feelings you’re a CORPSE. If all you have are feelings you’re a CHILD." Most of us come from a background that leaned one way or the other. Which did you bring into adult life with you?
- Based on your understanding/experience, what are the differences between our emotions and our affections? How do they interact with one another?
- Honesty Test: When you’re in a conversation about something important to you, how do you typically respond when you begin to realize you are wrong and the other person is right?
- Read Luke 10:25-37 together. Make as many observations as you can about the setting in which Jesus told this story. What would it have been like for you if Jesus told a story in front of many people to highlighted your error?
- Love doesn’t make being uncomfortable the goal. But love does make it safe when processing truth. Read Matthew 13:44. How can this give us confidence to examine our affections and even change what we treasure?