Good Life- South Jordan Control Freak Pt.6
CONTROL FREAK’S MOTTO: If it’s meant to BE it’s up to ME.
IRRELIGIOUS: Work to control LIFE.
RELIGIOUS: Work to control GOD.
Romans 4:5 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness.
James 2:24 24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
δικαιόω = JUSTIFY.
TWO MEANINGS OF JUSTIFY:
- To pay off a DEBT, to make RIGHT.
- To DEMONSTRATE that you are RIGHT.
SOLVING THE TENSION:
- Paul protects faith from being perverted by the RELIGIOUS.
- James protects faith from being perverted by the REBELLIOUS.
- Paul tells us how true salvation is PRODUCED.
- James tells us what true salvation PRODUCES.
James 2:19 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder.
DEMON STATED FAITH
KNOWS what the truth is.
BELIEVES the truth.
Has an EMOTIONAL RESPONSE to truth.
LOVE and TRUST in ACTION
BOTTOM LINE: Works don’t EARN true faith. Works EVIDENCE true faith.
WORKS = How we love God & love others.
“While the moralist is forced into obedience, motivated by fear of rejection, a Christian rushes into obedience, motivated by a desire to please and resemble the one who gave his life for us.” - Timothy Keller, The Reason For God
Galatians 5:13-26 13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh[a]; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”[b] 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. 16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[c] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
GOSPEL: Live to LOVE.
Galatians 5:6 The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
- Talk about a time where your trust was violated. What makes trusting in the Gospel difficult?
- Have you ever struggled with the idea that you must do good works in order to be right with God? Please briefly share your experience.
- Read Romans 4:1-5. What justifies man before God? Do good works play any role in Salvation? Why or why not? It may also help to read Ephesians 2:8-10.
- Read James 2:14-26. Is James’ message different from Paul’s? How can we know?
- Read Galatians 5:13-26. How does a proper understanding of the gospel motivate us to Love God and Love Others?