Fully Delighted - West Jordan
BIG QUESTION: What does a person have to do to experience salvation?
Titus 3:1-7 Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2 to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone. 3 At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.
Gospel Truth #1: Grace doesn’t give a PASS to sin. Grace makes godliness POSSIBLE. (Titus 2:11-12; 3:1-2)
2 Corinthians 5:17– Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
What We Experience: We look forward to TRANSFORMATION rather than overlooking TRANSGRESSIONS.
Gospel Truth #2: Religion says repent of your SIN, the Gospel says repent of your RIGHTEOUSNESS. (Titus 3:4)
Luke 18:10-12 Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get...
What We Experience: We think more about ACCOUNTABILITY than ACTIONS.
Gospel Truth #3: We don’t work FOR salvation, we work FROM it. (Titus 3:3-5a)
Ephesians 2:8-10 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—9 not by works, so that no one can boast.10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
What We Experience: We desire to do good works for OTHERS instead of OURSELVES
Gospel Truth #4: Religion promises to make you BETTER, the Gospel promises to make you NEW. (Titus 3:5b-7)
John 10:28-30 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”
What We Experience: Our hope in ETERNAL life allows us to live boldly in EVERYDAY life.
KEY TRUTH: Knowing the truth doesn’t change ANYTHING. Trusting the truth changes EVERYTHING.
- Does the way you talk about politicians with whom you disagree with show that you see them as equals or yourself as superior? Have you ever had to obey someone you don’t respect? Describe what that’s like.
- What’s harder: obeying someone you don’t respect, or being gentle towards everyone? Why do you think Paul tells us to do both?
- Review the 4 ‘experiences’ based on the 4 gospel truths in this message. If you’re a Christian, have you gone through these ‘experiences’? If you’re not a Christian, do these experiences that a Christian goes through seem good?
- Read Titus 3:3 together. What is the danger in allowing people to think “I’m a good person”? What do you think of when you hear that phrase from other people?
- Since choosing to trust in Christ, where have you changed most? Do you see Jesus continuing to make you new today?