Force Control. Control Freak Pt.4 Lehi Campus
Control Freak: Part Four
Pastor Eric Nelson October 22, 2017
THINK ABOUT IT: Control Freaks will control ANYTHING.
We want faith to be a FORCE because we want to FORCE the outcome.
- SIGNS OF A CONTROL FREAK THEOLOGIAN:
- Their focus is on the POWER, not the PERSON of Jesus.
- Their ACCESS to God’s power is based on the AMOUNT of faith they have.
- Whatever they confess with their LIPS they’ll possess in their LIFE.
What are the Key Truths about Faith not being a force?
Faith is CONFIDENCE in, not CONTROL of God.
Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Access to God isn’t granted by the AMOUNT of your faith, but the OBJECT of your faith.
Galatians 2:19-20 For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
It’s not the strength of your faith but the object of your faith that actually saves you. Strong faith in a weak branch is fatally inferior to a weak faith in a strong branch. - Tim Keller
Faith isn’t about getting MORE; it’s our response to being given EVERYTHING.
Colossians 2:6-7 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, 7 rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
Gospel Truth: Faith is not a force to be ACTIVATED, it’s trust that’s ACKNOWLEDGED.
Week 5 - Small Group Questions:
- We all have a little control freak in us. Where, when, or how does the control freak come out most in your life?
- Why do you think that people use religion as just another tool to control their lives or the lives of others, without being interested in trusting God at all?
- Look over the 3 signs of a control freak theologian. Which one are you most tempted to believe? Why?
- Read over the 3 points made in the message correcting ‘faith is a force’ theology. Which one is most helpful and hopeful to you and why?
- Tim Keller says: “It’s not the strength of your faith but the object of your faith that actually saves you. Strong faith in a weak branch is fatally inferior to a weak faith in a strong branch.” What is Keller essentially saying about who or what our faith is in?
- What will be your big-takeaway from this week’s message in Control Freak?